Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Bon Voyage

From The Funkie Junkie

Purely for the love of crafting, I have created what I think of as a wonderful retro study of a South Seas vacation. Sit back, close your eyes, let your body relax. Breathe deep. Can you smell that tang of salt in the air, maybe laced with a little pineapple smell? I deeply enjoyed making this card. The farthest south I have ever been is to the Caribbean, but this card carried me off on a little vacation. I could just feel the balmy sea air. I could envision packing my trunks...they had a little musty smell when I opened them the first time...then I pictured myself flying off in a propeller airplane, not a jet...sending a postcard back home, wishing someone special was there to enjoy it with me.

Okay, back to reality, but don't you just love these wonderful beach images from Flourishes and the travel icons from

Stampin' Up? Working with vintage and retro just satisfies some sort of creative yearning I have inside me. So I don't know if anyone will actually like this card, but I sure had a wonderful time making it!!

I am entering this card into two challenges:

Stamp Something - a card that recalls your summer vacation

Cute Card Thursday - At the Beach!


The base cardstock layers are Baja Blue (one of last year's SU In-Colors) and Creamy Caramel. On the Creamy Caramel, in Close to Cocoa ink, I stamped a montage of every travel stamp I owned. Then I stamped a selection of travel stamps over the montage with black ink and Versamark. Then I clear embossed them. I created a scene with the Flourishes Beach Life set and turned it into a vintage postcard by deckle cutting the edges and then sponging them with Creamy Caramel, my favorite distressing ink. Of course, I "damaged" it by folding over a corner and then ripping off a piece. Then I gave the damaged corner some extra sponging with Creamy Caramel. I stamped the three travel stamps on the left, cut them out and popped them up on craft foam. The "Beach Cottage" sign is a Melissa Francis sticker, sponged with Creamy Caramel, of course.


For the interior panels, I did the montage and embossed overlay thing and then added the sentiment from the Flourishes stamp - a beautiful, uplifting quote from Victor Hugo. For the blank panel to write a special message, I created another vintage post card style. So, there is a super lot going on with this card. Please let me know what you think about it. I am curious to see if it appeals to anyone besides me - LOL!


Card Recipe:

Stamps: Flourishes Beach Life, SU Travel Post, World Tour, Balmy Breezes, Aged to Perfection, Crafty Secrets Clear Art Stamps
Paper: Creamy Caramel, Baja Breezes, Very Vanilla, Neenah Solar White Ink: Versamark, Stewart Superior India Ink, Memento Tuxedo Black, Summer Sun, Really Rust, Copic Markers for coloring

Accessories: Clear EP, Silver EP, swing machine

Update: This card was featured on Card of the Week

9 comments:

Michelle's Daydreams said...

So nice Linda! I want to go here. :)

Beautiful Greetings said...

This is beautiful Linda! I love how you can see the depth of the sea. Your vintage cards are always stunning.

Juls said...

gorgeous! Love the collage feel on the front of your card. and love how you have decorated the inside of the card! fab!

Dianne said...

I love your cards. They are always so unique and you make them come to life. Great details

Erin... said...

What a fabulous card!! Looks like a wonderful relaxing place to be!! Thanks for playing along with us at Stamp Something this week

Wendy Hall said...

I love this Linda!! The collage is so nicely put together!! Makes me want to vacation again!!

My Creative Outlet by Janna said...

LOVE THIS!!! What a fun card...love the 3-D images! Great job! Thanks for playing at Stamp Something!

Janna :)

Tracy said...

Hi Linda ahh bliss poping over here your projects are stunningly gorgeous.Aahhh i so wish i was there instead of sitting here cold in Scotland,biting wind today.
Can you pop by mine when you have a moment as i have an award for you.
hugs
Tracy
xxx

Jennifer Meyer said...

Beautiful card Linda, it's sad to see summer go!

Also, I am looking for your email, can you email me at jdmeyer6@sbcglobal.net

Jennifer :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com