Monday, August 24, 2009

Fall Wildflowers - Creative Imaginations Challenge Guest DT Card

From The Funkie Junkie

Here's my submission as guest designer for this fortnight's Creative Imaginations Challenge blog. The challenge is sewing on a card. Would you believe I once said I would NEVER sew on a card? If you have strolled through my blog, you know that I can't make a card without sewing. It's addictive. Once you start, you can't go back - LOL! Your work will just feel naked without stitching on it!!

This card was quite time consuming with all the embossing and distressing, but I love the way it came out so to me it was worth the extra effort. I started with a 10x5" piece of Always Artichoke and scored it at the 5.5" point to create a 5x5 " card which is the standard size for me. Each of the next layers was distressed with an SU distressing tool and sponged with Creamy Caramel and then a little Close to Cocoa ink. The next panel us is Pumpkin Pie on which I have clear embossed the SU background stamp Script. The green print layer is from the retired SU Brocade Backgrounds DSP. The next layer, a smaller square panel is Barely Banana stamped with a stamp from the SU Garden Silhouettes set. I used my SU markers and inked the leaves in Close to Cocoa and the flowers in Pumpkin. I stamped off once before stamping on the card stock. I also embossed the sentiment from the On Gossamer Wings set. Next up, matted on another Pumpkin Pie/clear embossed panel is the flower from the On Gossamer Wings set. The flower is popped up with craft foam and mounted on a piece of Creamy Caramel card stock that has been stamped and clear heat embossed, distressed and heavily sponged with Creamy Carmel, Chocolate Chip and a little Pumpkin Pie ink throw if for color. I stamped the flower and heat embossed it on a piece of 140# cold pressed watercolor paper and water colored it using my SU reinkers and an aqua painter. Both the flower and the butterfly are from the On Gossamer Wings set and are paper toled. I also painted a light coat of a sparkly mixture I make using a very small amount of Simple Solutions #2 Medium Acrylic Medium mixed with LuminArte Metallic Mica Luster Pearl powder. In between some of these layers, you can see that I have added machine stitching, a little fancier than my normal stitching around the borders. The corners of the main Pumpkin Pie layer were also punched with a Fiskars corner punch.


Card Recipe:
Stamps: All SU - Script, On Gossamer Wings, Garden Silhouettes
Paper: SU Brocade Backgrounds DSP, Always Artichoke, Pumpkin Pie, Barely Banana, Creamy Caramel, 140# cold pressed watercolor paper
Ink: Creamy Caramel, Pumpkin Pie, Chocolate Chip, Versamark, Barely Banana
Accessories: Clear embossing powder, brads, reinkers, aqua painter, Fiskars corner punch, sewing machine, SU distressing tool



Update: This card was featured on Card of the Week.




13 comments:

Dianne said...

Linda, this card is beautiful. I love the way you did the corners. Stitching looks great.

Beautiful Greetings said...

Oh my goodness Linda this is gorgeous! I absolutely love the colors and the distressing. Fantastic job. I now crown you queen of vintage cards :) You are the best!

Juls said...

gorgeous! Love the colours and the image and the stitching detail on this card!

Dazie said...

Absolutely stunning card!
Dazie
x

cheryl said...

this is brilliant hun and welcome to our team hugs cheryl xxxxxxxx

Basement Stamper said...

well the time you spent on the embossing and distressing really shows! This card is beautiful!

Christine said...

Wow, as BG said vintage is your thing!

maxine said...

wow this is another fantastic card Linda. I hope you are having a lovely week, take care Maxine

Edith said...

What a nostalgic card, Linda. I love the colors:)

Jessica said...

Really pretty card...I am so into butterflies lately, and you made them look so beautiful! The embossing is a nice touch. I haven't tried it yet, but I hope to soon!

Sarah Anderson said...

I came across your blog via two or three other ones and I LOVE your cards...they are stunning! Need to spend more time drooling :) but before then, am off to let my friend Julie know about you, she'll love your cards too !!

Carolyn said...

Beautiful card, Linda! Gorgeous colors, and all the embossing looks so professional. Congratulations on it making card of the week. It deserved the recognition.

KAT said...

Love how you made this one all distressed and your "off square" sewing - love sewing on a card - just beautiful!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com