Monday, March 21, 2011

EASTER Refrigerator Magnet



Hello again!  I hope you all had a lovely weekend.  The weather was spectacular here in South Florida.  We're trying to hang on to a breath of cool air while we can!  It's time again for my weekly sharing of the project I made for Simon Says Stamp and Show.  This week the theme is Show Us a Word.

My word is EASTER.  We are currently in Lent, a period of prayer and introspection with emphasis on change.  What are you doing for Lent?  Are you making a sacrifice, giving something up to strengthen your discipline?  I'm afraid that the time is rushing by so fast that I haven't really given Lent much thought.  But making this project gave me a pause to really meditate on Lent and the renewal that is Easter.  How wonderful that the liturgical season parallels spring with it's renewal of flora and fauna!

For my Easter project, I chose to make a seasonal home decor item, a jumbo refrigerator magnet featuring vintage images, tulle, crinoline and lace. It's 6x6", built on a piece of chipboard from a chipboard scrapbook album.  Products used include Claudine Hellmuth Multi Medium Matte, Tim Holtz Tattered Florals Die, Gold Alcohol Ink Mixative, Vintage Photo and Antique Linen Distress Inks.   
Do you like my forsythia?  I loved this charming vintage springtime image with the children and what looks to me like a forsythia bush in the background.  I grew up in upstate New York and remember the glorious yellow extravaganza that the forsythia bushes provided every year.  So I tried to recreate them with some crinoline.  My flowers may not look exactly like forsythia but I think they provide a beautiful splash of springtime color on this piece.  I took some photos as I was making them and will try to put them together into a tutorial later this week.  I am finding that crinoline is such a fun, versatile fabric to work with.  It is so stiff - must have tons of sizing it in.  Even when I fully saturated it with water and color from reinkers, it dried totally stiff again - very cool!  I dyed both the crinoline and the rayon seam binding with Barely Banana reinkers - so fun to play with!


Now hustle on over to Simon Says Stamp and Show to see what my team mates have been up to.  I guarantee you will be awe struck by their talent!  I hope you will meditate on a word and then make up a project for our challenge.  Our ever-generous sponsor will be giving away a $50 shopping spree to a random winner.  

Thanks so much for stopping by today!  Hope to see your project this week over at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful!

Scrumplescrunch said...

I could also just write one word to describe this project Linda, but I think it deserves a lot more. Yes it is beautiful, but it also carries meaning, you have conveyed the meaning of Easter with all your elements that you have added;
the flowers, your images and the wonderful word standing so proud.
I think it was a joy for you to make, am I right?
Smiles:)

Janette said...

Stunning, so beautiful, I love all the embellishments and those flowers are fabulous.xx

Heidi said...

Those flowers are beautiful!
Gorgeous piece of work:)
Great details and design.
Hugs, Heidi:)

Suz said...

Love your card, all the elements work together so nicely to spell out Easter & Spring time. Thanks for sharing & can't wait for your tutorial. Suz

Christine said...

This is incredible Linda!

Lori said...

Love this gorgeous piece, Linda, the colors are so Easter! All those trims really add a special touch!

Unknown said...

Absolutely amazing.. I Love this..

Hugs, Linda

Kathy Eddy said...

Oh this is just beautiful! i am so inspired by it. I gave up sweets for lent and I am a real sweet-tooth so it's a biggy!

Shelly Hickox said...

Gorgeous!! I can't wait to see your flower tute - they are beautiful!

Lori said...

Wow wow wow Linda, this is soft and dreamy. I am in love with all your flowers, they add the perfect texture and softness! Great project!
PS: The answer to your question is yes I only coloured the umbrella on my duckie. Just used copics and left the white as is.

Candy C said...

Your refrigerator magnet is too beautiful to be a magnet! :) I love all of the attention to detail! Just a beautiful work of art!

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

What a terrific seasonal display. Each element reflects some love I think. Your projects just make me take a second look with all the unique things you put into them.

TwoHeartsPath said...

Oh, so Beautiful!! I can Smell Spring in the Air!!! Simply Gorgeous!!!
Hugs Patti

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Wow!! Linda, what a gorgeous piece for Easter...I love the doilies and the flowers are just stunning!!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com