Monday, March 14, 2011

Some Stars

Welcome back!  You're just in time to see what I have made for this week's Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge.  This week we want you to show us some stars.  That's a pretty wide open theme and our design team has quite an array of art to share with you.   It's so much fun every week to see what my talented teamies come up with for these challenges!
When I learned that this week's challenge was stars, a western theme immediately came to mind.  I spent some time tracking down vintage western images and created this collage.  It was a fun, but fussy project because I cut/created a lot of the elements by hand.  I searched around the house for something to use for backing and found a large Goldfish box - the jumbo kind you buy at the warehouse stores - LOL.  I cut it up, stripped off a layer of paper to expose the corrugated layer and went over it with Espresso and Snow Cap Acrylic paints.  I didn't have enough chipboard letters to make the title nor do I have the Tim Holtz Vintage Market letter die which would have been perfect (note to self - buy it!!).  I traced some old chipboard letters and cut them out of cardboard, then glued on the Ten Seconds Studio metal, trimmed around the letters and ran them through my Cuttlebug with the Paisley embossing folder.  Then I dripped on Ginger Alcohol Ink and tilted the letter to spread it around.  Yeah, very fussy stuff but it got me the result I was going for and what the heck, sometimes art takes a lot of time to create, right?
The plaques are more Ten Seconds Studio metal run though the Spellbinders tag die and embossed with the Cuttlebug Organic Flourishes border folder and then more Ginger Alcohol Ink.  I did pretty much the same thing to create the tops for the cowgirl tags, embossing with the Stars CB embossing folder.
I embossed more metal with the Stars folder and trimmed them out individually to create the copper stars.  For the rusted stars, I used Grungeboard and Tim's Rusted Grunge technique (page 45 Compendium of Curiosities).  I had a small piece of bailing twine that I picked up somewhere and saved.  (yes, my friends chuckle and roll their eyes when I say "wait, don't throw that away!")
A little burlap enhanced this panel.  I made the rosette out of burlap too.  Added a couple more of Tim's fabulous rusted grunge stars and a Muse Token.  Of course, I aged all my vintage images with Vintage Photo Distress Ink - can't live without that stuff!

Sorry for such a long post, but it was a marathon project and I wanted to share all the details.  I had a blast making it, even though I did fuss over so many details.  Let me know if you have any questions.  Now hop on over to Simon Says Stamp and Show to see the incredible art work my talented team members have produced.  Hope you will play along with our Show Us Some Stars challenge.  Our ever-generous sponsor, Simon Says Stamp, will be giving a $50 shopping spree to some lucky random winner again this week.  Ya can't win if ya don't play!
Well gang, that wraps up another Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge for me.  Hope you enjoyed my project.  Thanks so much for your wonderful comments and have a blessed week!

16 comments:

Cor* said...

OMG Linda. This is so super fantastic! Love all the textures and pictures! Great job with the challenge them! YeeHaw!

Heidi said...

Wow this is fantastic!
Great details:)
Hugs, Heidi:)

Candy C said...

Linda, this is absolutely amazing! ALL the attention to detail is just...well...just amazing! I love the colors you used, the burlap behind the picture, the lettering, the vintage photos. It just all works together so perfectly! You knocked it out of the park this week!! LOVE IT!

Dan said...

This is just fantastic Linda and you've recreated the vintage wild west theme just perfectly! I learned something new too, you can keep goldfish in a box! Who knew?!?!? :D

Lori said...

Holy cow Linda! What can I say, I am going to spend the day staring at this there is so much detail and the metal, wow!!

Sarah said...

A real labour of love and creativity...I can feel every minute of your long hours of snipping and prepping! But oh so worth it - and all you. Loving all the details, colours, images and thoughts. A fabulous piece and a great experience too I think. Time to chill...although fingers will itch!!!
Sarah x

LeAnne said...

My heart is RACING as I look at this stupendous creation! I would love to know where you got all your goodies/images!!! They are fantastic!!

Scrumplescrunch said...

Wonderful Art Linda.
What more can I say.
Smiles:)

Beverly G said...

Love the whole thing, so creative. Your burlap rosette is just the right touch there. Don't think this student can surpass this :-)

Lori said...

OH LINDA! What can I say! There are no words...this is one of the best pieces I've seen to date, I absolutely LOVE it! That cardboard for a background is genius, really gives it that rustic feel. Totally spectacular and an inspiration for sure!

Minxy said...

Your piece is just fantastic :D

Paulette S said...

Like all of your projects, it's just amazing!! That transformed Gold fish box looks just like metal roofing. And all of your embellies are in perfect placement. Outstanding....

Jana said...

WOW. This is amazing. I LOVE how you used all of those embossing folders. I want to go out and get them all now. I LOVE this.

Stef Perry said...

Holy cow, this is an amazing piece!! Every detail is fabulous and the antique photos are perfect. And you use a stripped down cardboard box to mount it on??? You are amazingly inventive and so very, very creative!

Dianne said...

Hi Friend, Sorry it has been so long since I have had time to visit my favorite blogs. Your Cards are still stunning. Love this project!!

Hugs,Dianne

Kim Costello said...

This is stunning Linda, I love all the funkie elements, the colours are so fab and the added texture really brings this piece to life!!!
HuGs Kim :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com