Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Masking Challenge

Welcome to Week II of the Frilly and Funkie challenge.  Marjie Kemper is our hostess this time around and she is challenging us to use masks.  I didn't get a chance to play on the Frilly side of this challenge last week, but wanted to make sure that I took up Marjie's challenge for the Funkie side.  

I made a tag recently using Tim Holtz's Faded Layers technique (Compendium of Curiosities II, page 43) which uses masking as one of the layers.  I liked the overall look of the tag, but wasn't satisfied with the masking and have been wanting to give it another try.  I have a couple of Tim's masks, but had never tried the Mask Sheets until then.  They are really wonderful.  You can use your dies to cut stencils or just cut them freehand.  

I started with one of the jumbo tags that I just started carrying in the boutique.  They are a generous 8x4" and have a coated surface very similar to Ranger's manila card stock.  I really love the larger size and the surface is very nice to work on.  For this project, I cut a bunch of butterfly stencils using the Butterflies Movers and Shapers dies.  The ink colors I used here were Tattered Rose and Iced Spruce.  The colors look a little dark and grayed because I did the faded layer stamping step in the wrong order. So when I sponged over the masks for the second time, there was ink on top of the masks and I picked up some of the archival black ink on my sponge and blended it in.  I think it was a happy accident because I really like the way the colors came out.  The stamp set I used was Papilion by Tim Holtz and I used the Butterflies die to cut butterflies out of corrugated cardboard.  They don't really blend together, but I took the Cinnabar Vintaj patina and put a few drops on the felt of an alcohol blending tool and then added a few drops of Pearl alcohol ink mixative.  They don't really blend, but they sort of did.  I applied the mixture to the butterflies using the blending tool and then gave them a coat of UTEE.

I made rusty washers cutting the circles with the Tag and Bookplates die and applied Vintage Photo Distress Embossing Power to them and to the screw brads.  The corrugated cardboard flower was cut with the Tattered Pinecone die, which I am trying to get for the shop, but has been on back order from Ranger for the last 4 weeks.   

Thanks so much for stopping by today.  Hope you will stop by Frilly and Funkie to check out what the Funkie side of the DT has to share for our Masking challenge.  And don't forget about my Pre-Memorial Day sale going on through the 28th.  The price of every item has been discounted 10% off my regular price for this sale.  


Products used from The Funkie Junkie Boutique


7 comments:

Susan said...

I love this tag. The way you mix the textures is great.

Marjie Kemper said...

Gorgeous! Love what you did with the corrugated strips and those awesome little rivets with the hole re-enforcers!

lolita cardenas c. said...

lovely tag!
so cute!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

OMGOSH!!! Incredible! This is absolutely the most creative design i've seen using corrugated paper!!! Fabulous!!! I'm having a moment...wow!!! Love your masked butterflies as well!

Anonymous said...

Ooh Linda, there's lots going on here ! I love the colour combo, what a perfect happy accident ! The rusty washers and screws look amazing, I really need to have a go at that technique. The corrugated paper is just the perfect touch ! Can you tell I like it ??
Sue C x

Terry said...

Love this butterfly tag! The masked layers are exquisite and those rusty metal pieces are perfect! Every inch is fabulous!

Art Joy of Sharing with Peg and Shel said...

More than masking here. Wowzers!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com