Wednesday, September 17, 2014

A Heart Attack

Double click image to zoom in

Cross my heart and hope to die, stick a needle in my eye.  Remember that rhyme from childhood?  

I'm back with week #2 - the Funkie week - of Trace's From the Heart challenge over on the Frilly and Funkie blog.  I hope I haven't offended anyone with my rather macabre interpretation of the challenge.  All it calls for is to make a heart the focal point of your vintage style piece.  And that's what it's all about, right?  The fun is seeing how all the players interpret the challenge.  

I really love vintage Halloween art and since I am into the Halloween mode these days, as soon as I started brainstorming for Trace's challenge, this theme came to mind.  I managed to restrain myself for the Frilly week and let myself go for the Funkie week.  Unfortunately, the concept was better than the reality.  

I started with a jumbo manila tag and gave it two coats of Black Soot distress paint, drying with my heat tool between each coat.  Then I stenciled silver ink using a mini ink blending tool and the new Gothic stencil (LOVE that stencil).  I tried sponging on Brushed Pewter distress paint but it was too fluid and seeped under the stencil creating a blurry image.  Three tags were cut using the Tiny Tabs and Tags Bigz die.  One was stamped with the Poison stamp from Spooky Stuff, one with the mini skull from Mini Halloween 3 and the third one with the sentiment was printed on my home printer.  Each tag was sponged with Vintage Photo DI and then red embossing powder was added in splotches.  
Next I embossed the dripping blood from the Spooky Stuff set in red EP, but it was too dark, so I stamped over it with Red Pepper acrylic paint dabber.  I think that's what is giving me the visual problem with this piece.  The blood is too bright red, but that's the only red acrylic paint I had on hand.  I stamped it again down lower with the Red Pepper paint.  I originally embossed the heart with red EP too, and then painted over it with the Red Pepper paint.  The red EP was too dark and the Red Pepper paint too bright.  
I cut the flower using both the Distressed Flowers decorative strip die and the Jumbo Tattered Florals.  All flower die cuts were white.  I stamped them with the script stamp from Apothecary in Jet Black archival and then sponged them with Black Soot DI.  Then I scribbled a bit of Brushed Pewter distress paint on my craft sheet, misted it with water and smooched the flower pieces around in it, scrunching them up nicely and then drying with my heat tool.  More Red Pepper paint dabber was drizzled on the flower.  

It needed a little something else so I cut a strip of Foil Tape with the Vintage Lace die to go across the top.  Also added a couple of silver corner pieces that I coated with Black Soot distress paint to distress them.  

Thanks so much for stopping by!  That's it for this week's Frilly and Funkie post.  I hope you will check out the beautiful pieces from the rest of our team!



The products below were used to create the piece above and are available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique were Tim Holtz/Ranger products are always 20% below MSRP.


8 comments:

Jenny Marples said...

My goodness, when you said you were taking a different approach to this theme you really meant it!!! Just perfect for Halloween and with a great touch of gruesome! Jenny x

Redanne said...

I love Halloween - and I think your tag is wonderful!

sarascloset said...

Linda, I couldn't wait to get to this and see all the details up close. While it is different for the heart theme, it is just perfect for Halloween. I love the quote tag and how you used the embossing powder--CLEVER, and if you don't mind, I would like to give it a try. Your flower is stunning! All this is so great and creepy.

Pamellia said...

Wow Linda, best use of embossing powder ever!! This is so beautiful, genius and creepy all at the same time! lol. Love it! hugs :)

Karin said...

wow gorgeous tag, love it!

Unknown said...

Oh, I just LOOOOOVE this, Linda :) It's perfect for a Halloween greeting or a (bloody)Valentine ;):) Oh, that's just the 'goth' in me talking :) This is a FAB tag, Linda! It's a wonderful take on Trace's theme! XOXO-Shari

Nancy Dynes said...

Linda,
Your tag is the definition of spooky FUN! I love the way you've used hearts in a totally novel way. You never fail to inspire me. You're going to be so ready for Halloween this year:-))
Hugs,
Nancy

Lisa Minckler said...

What a superbly crafted macabre creation!! It's all in good Halloween fun, so no offense taken here, just the undying appreciation for your talents that you share all the time with us!
Wonderful Job Linda.
hugs to you,
Lisa x

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com