Friday, December 12, 2014

December Tim Tag

Double click photo to zoom in for details
Well, here it is December and I am finally getting a chance to play with one of Tim Hotltz's monthly tag challenges.  I usually like to change Tim's tags up quite a bit, just relying on inspiration rather than trying to copy his tag with different products.  This time, I managed to have almost every product he used.  However, I decided to stick closely to his techniques and use different stamps, dies, etc.  I also generally kept to his color palette.  I loved the look of the Faded Jeans and Brushed Pewter.  I did his background exactly as he showed it on his blog.  I wanted to see if the white spots came up through.  They did - it's a cool technique to use when you want a snowy look to your winter crafting.  I also chose to use the Frosted and the same texture fade - Snowfall and Falling Trees.  I love the Snowfall TF and it worked great with the Frosted.  After I did the background technique, I stamped the pine branches from the Christmas Nostalgia set with Library Green archival ink.

I got out my Festive Gent die (love that guy!) for my main focal point.  He was cut from black kraft core, which was sanded a bit and then I gave him a slight sprinkling of Clear Rock Candy Distress Glitter.  In the silhouette, he is carrying a wreath.  I chose to use Pine Twine to give the wreath dimension and interest, adding a tiny red bow.  My die cut pine branches were done exactly as Tim shows on his blog as I wanted to try out that technique too.  My pine branches and bow were offset rather than topping the tag because I wanted the stamping under the Frosted to show through.  I really like the offset bow and branches.  I covered the tag hole with a acrylic crystal snowflake from The Funkie Junkie Boutique.  I also embellished the bow with a silver tone wreath and tiny silver bells also from The Funkie Junkie Boutique.

Because I am hooked on the jumbo manila tags I sell at the boutique, my tag was longer than the Frosted.  I chose to put the part the Frosted didn't cover at the bottom of the tag and needed something to fill in.  Tim's texture paste to the rescue!  I love the snow that I created.  It was liberally sprinkled with more Clear Rock Candy distress glitter while still wet and the excess was tapped off.

I'm so glad I finally got to play again in Tim's monthly challenge.  I hope you enjoyed my version!  Thanks so much for stopping by!







The products below were used to create this tag.  They are available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique, where Tim Holtz/Ranger and most other name brand products are always 20% below MSRP.  


14 comments:

Unknown said...

Your December Tim tag is Great, Linda :) I love the frosty top layer and those pops of red are lovely :) Very festive indeed :)
XOXO-Shari

Aspiring crafter said...

A totally cool tag Linda, love it!
XxxxRuth

Marci said...

Great tag! So pretty.

Fabiola said...

superbe, très élégant, j'adore, biz

Jenny Marples said...

Well I LOVE your version to bits Linda. Putting the snow at the bottom was a genius touch. Jenny x

Words and Pictures said...

Really love your take on the December tag, Linda - the striding man is starting to seem "necessary" as a stamp AND now as a die-cut! Gorgeous frosty look and lovely embellishing. I haven't managed to make a Tim Tag since July I think... and so sad not to have managed a single FJ tag yet - still hoping!!
Alison xx

Pamellia said...

This is a gorgeous interpretation of Tim's tag! I love your Festive Gent with the 3d wreath! I just put about a dozen things on my wish list!!! So festive, love it! holiday hugs :)

Nikki Acton said...

Fabulous take on Tims tag - Linda. The frostiness is stunning. Nikki x

suzyb said...

Love this one! I am a tag addict but haven't make any yet!!!!! Really you say? well, I just need a kick to get started and this was it, truly lovely and I think I even have a man somewhere that would work. Great job and thank you so much for the sharing that you do!! truly an inspiration to us all.
Merry Christmas

Suzanne C said...

Ohhh I love your take on TIm's tag. THe festive gent looks fantastic.

Darlene G said...

Linda, your tag is beautiful. I love the red.

Unknown said...

Awesome tag and the wreath is genius!

Unknown said...

Awesome tag and the wreath is genius!

LauraVi said...

Love your take of December tag, the background, that festive gent, two wreaths and two red bows... everyting fantastic!
Happy New Year!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com