Monday, October 19, 2015

Challenge: 12 Tags of Christmas - Funkie Junkie Style - Week #4

Double click to zoom in for details
Welcome back to Week #4 of the 12 Tags of Christmas Funkie Junkie Style.  I hope you are all having as much fun as I am, no matter whether it is just inspiration you are looking for or the challenge of making your own holiday art work.

Here is Week #4 and I hope it will trigger a little inspiration for you.  As I always do, I started with one of the jumbo manila tags I sell in the shop.  They are roughly the same size as Tim Holtz's #10 tags.  The company I buy the through calls them #12 tags.  They are 8x4 inches.  I love using them because they are a great, inexpensive substrate for my mixed media projects.  Anyway, I started with a blank manila tag and Tim Holtz's Stripes stencil.  One of his tags this year used the Stripes stencil to create a plaid effect which I absolutely loved.  I think plaids are so perfect for winter crafting, especially for Christmas.  I used Barn Door and Mowed Lawn to create my plaid with the Stripes stencil.  I dried it with my heat tool and then sponged the edges with Vintage Photo Distress Ink, then ran the heat tool over it for a minute or two to make sure it was perfectly dry.

Next I used the Tim Holtz Festive stencil and Wendy Vecchi Silver embossing paste to create a pattern and dimension over top of the plaid. While the embossing paste was drying (took about an hour), I die cut the holly and greens from the Holiday Greens Thinlits die set.  For the greens, I used white card stock sponged with Mowed Lawn and Forest Moss.  Once cut, I edged the greens with Vintage Photo and stippled them a bit with white gesso.  While I had the white gesso on a stipple brush, I applied some to the miniature pine cones used here (and sold soon at The Funkie Junkie Boutique for a song :).  The spray was topped off with a velvet poinsettia from Petaloo (also arriving soon at The Funkie Junkie Boutique).



The sentiment is from Mini Holidays 5.  A piece of white CS was sponged with Forest Moss and Mowed Lawn, then the Tim Holtz Distress Sprayer to so the old spritz and flick technique.  I blotted off the water and dried it with a heat tool.  Then I stamped the sentient with Distress Embossing ink and silver embossed it.  It was fussy cut, edged with Vintage Photo, popped up with craft foam and adhered.  All the embellishments were also adhered with Ranger Multi Medium Matte.

To finish it off, I added a twine bow and a couple of silver jingle bells and a Christmas bell charm, held on with a silver tone loop pin from my shop.



That's it for Week #4.  A huge thank you to everyone who has played along!  I'm always tickled to have you all playing with me.  And thanks to everyone who has left a comment too.

I wanted to take this opportunity to remind everyone of the challenge requirement which can be found in the Week #1 post.  At a minimum your post must include a link to this challenge, a link to my store as sponsor www.thefunkiejunkie.com and you must tell us what it was on my tag that inspired you.  Please feel free to email me at linda@thefunkiejunkie.com if you have any questions.









These products were used to make the above tag and can be purchased at The Funkie Junkie Boutique were Tim Holtz/Ranger, Wendy Vecchi and most other name brand products are always 20% below MSRP.






23 comments:

SewPaperPaint said...

Oh Linda! I'm so thrilled that you did a plaid background! This is such an amazing tag with so much inspiration to pull from! So excited to begin...

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful traditional colors and rich flowers and holly! You are really challenging me with things I don't have!!! :) No more silver and teal for me. :) Will be looking at what I can do with some pretty plaid, holly, and poinsettia!

Elizabeth said...

Ooooh! This is my favorite so far! I can't wait to play!

LauraVi said...

WOW what a sumptuous creation, love it!

Jane said...

I do love traditional reds and greens Linda and I love your tag. Plaid goes so well with it too. Great inspiration again and I will look forward to making this one. I have made 2 and 3...just need to blog them!! xx

rachel said...

love the plaid Linda - looks fabulous - still got to do tag 3 - its next on the list!!!! Big hugs rachel xx

Patty O'Malley said...

Wonderful tag, Linda! Love the plaid background.

Conniecrafter said...

very cool, love all the dimension, pretty design!

Vada said...

Oh My Goodness Linda! You are driving me nuts!! I (OH SO LOVE) this tag. Just Outstanding.. Keep Them Coming.
Vada

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Completely gorgeous tag!!! LOVE the plaid!

Marci said...

Love the plaid!

Marci said...

Love the plaid!

Sue said...

These are lovely but another reminder that I need to start my Christmas makes.

Deb said...

Love the plaid overlaid with your gorgeous silver embossing! Can't wait to play with this weeks meme. Deb xo

Terry said...

Now I need to add the stripes to my list! Gorgeous tag, Linda. The plaid is so rich and festive. Love this! Hugs!

Zoe Hillman said...

Your tag is stunning Linda! I love the colours and that poinsettia! <3 You've inspired me to play along.

Hettie said...

Yeah!! Fourth time to try and link and I have done it. I Love Love Love this tag, and it is my favourite so far. Great fun to be joining you again Linda.
Hugs
xx

craftytrog said...

The plaid looks fabulous! Lovely traditional festive tag! xx

Dr Sonia S V said...

Love the texture on the flower
Cheers
Dr Sonia

Jane said...

I know you are only getting ramped up....but this is hands down my favorite. I am in love with plaids, and especially Christmas plaids. Your beautiful poinsettia adds just the right touch being so soft.

Deb said...

Finally got my ornament made to link up with your wonderful week 4 tag Linda, thanks for your continuing inspiration! Deb xo

sarascloset said...

Ooooh! Another favorite of mine! Love that plaid and those traditional Christmas greens and reds! What a beautiful spray! Hugs!

sarascloset said...

Love, love , love the plaid and the rich colors of the embellishments against it! Gorgeous!!!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin


I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com